Know more about Chromosomal disorders
Our genetic information is encoded in DNA, which is packaged as chromosomes in our cells. Human cells have 23 pairs of chromosomes (22 pairs of autosomes and one pair of sex chromosomes), giving a total of 46 per cell. Trisomy is one of the most common chromosomal abnormalities.
Chromosomal disorders mostly occur during the formation of a fertilized egg, and are random events. Every parent has a certain likelihood of bearing a baby with chromosomal disorders. Statistics showed that the chance of having a defected baby is positively correlated with the age of pregnancy. There is no proven cure for such defects. Therefore, having a fast and safe prenatal screening helps parents better prepare for their families.
Major chromosomal disorders:
Patau SyndromeOccurrence 1:5000
Usually born with a variety of birth defects
Edwards SyndromeOccurrence 1:3000
Usually born with a variety of birth defects
Down SyndromeOccurrence 1:700
Mental and growth retardation
Sex Chromosome AneuploidiesOccurrence 1:600 – 1:3000
safeT21expressTM adopts the latest DNA sequencing technologies.
The emergence of a new test, safeT21expressTM, opens up an opportunity for mothers to experience a prenatal test which is safe and >99.9% accurate.
- During pregnancy, the unborn child releases some of its DNA into the blood circulation of its mother.
- DNA from the unborn child can be obtained by drawing only 10ml of maternal blood.
- safeT21expressTM analyses the circulating cell-free DNA molecules with next-generation DNA sequencing technologies, and performs bioinformatics analysis.
- Genetic information from the unborn child can be obtained after analysis.
safeT21expressTM is a high sensitivity genetics analysis service for the non-invasive prenatal screening of Down syndrome and other disorders. safeT21expressTM is a test that analyses such circulating cell-free DNA molecules with next-generation DNA sequencing technologies, and performs bioinformatics analysis. Genetic information from the unborn child can be obtained, which could include the screening results for:
- Down syndrome (T21)
- Edwards syndrome (T18)
- Patau syndrome (T13)
- Sex chromosome aneuploidies: 45, X0
- Sex chromosome aneuploidies: 47, XXY
- Sex chromosome aneuploidies: 47, XXX
- Sex chromosome aneuploidies: 47, XYY
- Microdeletions analysis related to 1p36 deletion syndrome
- Microdeletions analysis related to 2q33.1 deletion syndrome
- Microdeletions analysis related to Angelman syndrome
- Microdeletions analysis related to Cri-du-Chat syndrome
- Microdeletions analysis related to 22q11 deletion syndrome (include DiGeorge syndrome)
- Microdeletions analysis related to Langer-Giedion syndrome
- Microdeletions analysis related to Prader-Willi syndrome
When choosing between prenatal DNA tests, you are suggested to seek advice from your doctor on the following issues:
- Hong long does it take to get the report? Is it really fast?
- Is my test supported by University professionals?
- Is my test a state-of-the-art technology with patent granted?
safeT21expressTM is popular among pregnant women because of the following reasons.
University Professors specialized in Pathology will provide support to your Obstetricians to handle positive results or special cases
Safe and miscarriage risk free
The test uses a non-invasive method with no risk of miscarriage
Reporting result in 3-5 working days after blood collection
Accuracy of trisomy detection over 99.9%
Simple and Convenient
Only 10ml of maternal blood is required (fasting is not required)
Our simple test procedures:
The accuracy of the safeT21expressTM test
Although the accuracy of invasive diagnostic tests (e.g. amniocentesis) are high, there are risks of miscarriage. On the other hand, traditional screening tests (e.g. OSCAR) are safe, but are less accurate.
safeT21expressTM opens up an opportunity for mothers to experience a prenatal test which is safe and >99.9% accurate.
Xcelom was built by a group of biotechnology enthusiasts who strive to make the world a better place. It was founded and is run by the most dedicated inventors, explorers and healthcare professionals who help create your future.
decoding fetal genomic map
from maternal blood
Hong Kong’s Original Scientific Inventions
In 1997, Xcelom’s founder was the first to report the existence of cell-free fetal DNA in the blood of pregnant women. After years of dedicated research, methods for the non-invasive screening of fetal chromosomal aneuploidies, were successfully achieved. The clinical performances of the test approaches developed by the research team were subsequently validated and confirmed by a number of international research groups and this formed the basis for many of the non-invasive prenatal testing protocols adopted for clinical use worldwide today. Xcelom is the only licensee of the CUHK technologies in Hong Kong to provide the safeT21expressTM test.
News (External web links)
Xcelom is established based on the non-invasive prenatal testing technologies pioneered at CUHK. Xcelom is the exclusive licensee of this CUHK technology in Hong Kong.
With our technology leadership and technical centre at the Hong Kong Science Park, Xcelom now pursues an unparalleled ambition – to serve Hong Kong and the world using world-class technologies with impeccable quality, and become the world’s most essential company that transforms prenatal healthcare. Powered by our visionary biomedical professionals and the inventions, Xcelom is proud to offer our flagship service – safeT21expressTM to every pregnant woman and her babies who deserve the best protection and care.
We run the technology. We dream the technology. We breathe the technology
– because our babies deserve only the best.
And we must deliver it, whatever it takes.From our Staff Mission, Xcelom